What makes the perfect cycling shoe? Is it exceptional power transfer? Superior Comfort? Undeniable style? The simple answer is “yes” to all of the above. With the S-Works 7 Road, you get shoes with no compromises.
SPECIALIZED S WORKS 7
The Specialized S Works 7 was one of my most anticipated cycling shoes of the 2020-21 season not only for its comfort and sleek look and sheer power transfer. I was able to demo many of the younger versions of the S Works over the years and this is truly an upgrade in all aspects from wattage transfer to incredible comfort. This is one of the stiffest and the lightest Carbon plate Soles that maximizes power transfer to the pedal on to the pavement while reducing stress/injuries on your hip/knee and foot. The FACT powerline as the carbon plate is termed, has a stiffness index of 15.0 and it is the stiffest I’ve ever used, it does have some forgiveness to the carbon plate. The Independent boa S3 snaps are backed by a lifetime guarantee with S3 snap dials for precise micro adjustments that can be done while moving or stopped. The PadLocked molded heel has a superior fit where the calcaneal/Heel bone is locked through a headlock molded heel for credible fit without any movement. As usual the Body Geometry sole has both anatomic or ergonomic science to increase power without compromise on lower extremity dynamics. The heel feels locked in place with little bit more room in the toebox called Form Fit that allows the toes to move thus decreasing numbness. The shoe material as directional fibers called Dyneema Mesh Fabric which are thermally molded to reduce stretch zone for continued and long-lasting durability. While the shoes are a bit pricey which are around $400, they weigh only 224 grams and work with any three bolt pattern. I did feel some slight break-in period and due to the secure fit are slightly difficult to get into. The shoe felt molded to my foot to optimize power transfer, reduce movement and added the individual comfort over time. Specialized S Works 7 shoes are the most comfortable and power efficient shoes that I’ve used in 2021 so far this year.
- Body Geometry sole and footbed are ergonomically designed and scientifically tested to boost power, increase efficiency, and reduce the chance of injury by optimizing hip, knee, and foot alignment.
- Our stiffest and lightest FACT Powerline™ carbon plate maximizes power transfer: Stiffness Index 15.0
- Dyneema® Mesh is trapped between layers of four-way stretch mesh and TPU to create no-stretch zones for the ultimate connection and comfort.
- Independent alloy BOA® S3-Snap Fit System for on-the-fly micro-adjustment, backed by the Boa Guarantee.
- PadLock™ heel construction cradles the heel and is proven to improve acceleration
- Titanium alloy cleat nuts can rotate to position pedal/cleats 5mm rearward.
- Non-slip, replaceable heel tread with internally recessed screws for security.
- Form Fit last with a roomy toe box for the ultimate in connectivity and comfort.
- Three-bolt cleat pattern fits all major road pedals.
- Approximate weight: 224g (1/2 pair, Size 42)
- Superior comfort and fit
- Exceptional power transfer
- Excellent secure heel fit to limit motion of foot in shoe
- Quality material and Lifetime Boa system
- Costly, but the most comfortable and responsive road shoe I’ve used in 2021 so far and worth every penny
- Some break in period of less than 2 weeks
THE BOTTOM LINE
Specialized S Works 7 shoes are the most comfortable and power efficient shoes that I’ve used in 2021 so far this year.
To purchase or for additional info go to https://www.specialized.com/US/en/s-works-7-road-shoes